10.14.2005

Brief Friend

---by Ron Dupuis

Last week New Hampshire House Speaker Doug Scamman stated his intent to sign an Amicus Brief to be filed by pro-abortionist with the Supreme Court of the United States concerning “Parental Notification.” This law passed by the New Hampshire legislature in 2003 required un-emancipated minor girls to notify a parent before getting an abortion. The lack of exemption to protect the life of the Mother was Speaker Scamman’s reason for throwing the weight of his office behind the “Friend of the Court” opinion.
“I’ve always been pro choice so there is no reason to beat me up on this” the Speaker stated.
We’ll see Mr. Speaker. Fast forward a few days.

Speaker Scamman announced he will NOT lend his name to the brief opposing the Parental Notification law. He said he had not seen the brief and now it was too late to analyze it.
“I’m going to have people on two sides upset with me” was the Speakers statement.
You’ve got that right Mr. Speaker.

In My Humble Opinion, Doug Scamman, as an individual, and as a Representative, has every right to his position as a “pro choice” advocate, or as I prefer to call it, a “pro abortion” advocate. (I have my right to call it what ever I want). The problem is that SPEAKER Scamman has no right to throw the power and prestige of his office behind a move to undermine a law that was approved by the proper House committee and passed by a vote in both the House and Senate. Approved, I might add, during a period when the Speaker was neither Speaker nor even a Representative.

I seem to remember when Representative Scamman was running for the Speakers position he promised to allow the committees to “do their job” and the House to “do its job” without interference from the Speakers office. For him to even consider interfering with legislation passed by the New Hampshire over two years ago is an embarrassment. So much for campaign promises.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys are both wrong. Speaker Scamman has the right to place the "power and prestige" of his office behind any issue he so wishes.

Signed
A "fair weather" friend

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online