5.27.2010

US Government: Panhandler

--- by Micheal

It just came to my attention that the US government has a website where people can contribute to paying down the national debt. That debt is in the neighborhood of 13 TRILLION dollars thus far. Citizens are encouraged to donate what they can (or want to) to help poor old Uncle Sam. They will accept checks, but also credit card donations online. Check it out at www.pay.gov.

Uncle Sam has become a street person! He stands on the sidewalk with his empty cup and a cardboard sign saying "Help me pay my bills."

Now, I regularly pass beggars on the streets of Boston. Some are blatantly honest, with signs that read, "Help me get drunk," (which they usually look like they already are). Some try to sound like honest folk on hard times. "Out of work. Need food." Yeah, right.

Their problem is not necessarily a lack of money, but a lack of fiscal wisdom. Whatever money they get, they waste. In the Boston beggars' case, on booze. Even buying them a cheeseburger would not help. It would only free up a bit of their resources for more booze.

That's how I feel about Pay.gov. Our government has a totally irresponsible approach to spending. There doesn't seem to be a single stupid program they aren't eager to borrow BILLIONs to fund. If I put money in their cup, I'm only encouraging such bad behavior.

We, as a country, need to stop thinking that every personal deviation from the imagined Norman Rockwell idealized life, is the responsibility of the US Government to subsidize. It is not the government's job to make sure everyone is comfortable and happy.

The Declaration of Independence states that one of our inalienable rights is the pursuit of happiness. OUR right, not the government's obligation to provide whatever I think will make me happy. If I don't feel like working, my hunger is not the responsibility of the rest of the nation. If I just want to spend all my money on getting drunk, it is not the government's job to keep me fed and housed and healthy while I drink myself to death.

I am already subsidizing the US government's irresponsible spending habits, (through no choice of my own) through taxes. I am sure not going to encourage their lack of discipline with donations.

1 comment:

WKen said...

Listening to NPR today, were you?

I guess the account's been around for a while.

The first such thing I ever heard of was the Tax Me More account that then-Gov. Mike Huckabee opened in Arkansas. He set it up so that people who wanted to raise taxes could go pay as much as they wanted to, and leave the rest of the state alone. I'm okay with that, because he was making a point.

Apparently, the feds have been doing this for a while.

More than a little pathetic, actually ...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online